It was some time on Friday that I realized out of the blue that I hadn't gotten my second Rhogam injection at the hospital after delivering Evan. After questioning myself several times I decided to share this with my husband and then questioned him as if he would have been able to say "yes, I remember them sticking a large needle in your bottom, don't you?" Unfortunately, I went to the worst place (the internet) for more answers because my doctors office had closed by the time I had sense enough to call them.
I had known that due to my blood type, O negative, it is imperative for me to have two Rhogam injections ... one at approximately 28 weeks, which I received, and the other after delivery. After a long and stressful search online I came to realize how incredibly important it is to get the second shot due to many articles online documenting that not receiving the injections could negatively affect any attempt at becoming pregnant in the future. While I am enjoying my two beautiful children very much and am in no hurry to expand our precious family of four I must say the idea that we would have an added challenge if/when we do decide to attempt adding to our family was somewhat overwhelming. While my husband did/said all he could to take away my stress/worries there really was nothing we could do until I could call the hospital and/or my doctor to find out more about my care.
Saturday I made a strong effort to find out on my own through labor and delivery at the hospital where I delivered our sweet boy if there was any way I had received a Rhogam injection. No luck. I couldn't figure out how to get the incredibly cheerful lady who answered the phone to check my records and/or Evan's. While I appreciated her cheer and suggestions that I should just call my doctor Monday and see if I can get it then (grrr . . . she obviously hadn't read anything about Rhogam on the internet!) it wasn't getting me anywhere I needed or wanted to be. Staying fairly calm I debated calling my doctors after hours exchange. I don't like having an emergency let alone creating one when it's not technically an emergency. However, after a little more debate my husband and I agreed that I should call and what a wonderful decision that was.
I received a call back from an incredibly kind and understanding Nurse Practitioner through my doctors office. After explaining my situation to her she called the hospital herself and returned my call moments later. After apologizing for the long wait, which wasn't long at all, she gave me the most incredible news . . .
My sweet baby boy had O negative blood. He had the exact same blood type as his momma. This is the only way that a second Rhogam injection would not have been necessary . . . the only possibility that I had not even imagined possible.
7% of the population have type O negative blood. 7%, which now includes my precious Evan and I . . . my sweet boy who was, is and always will be just like his mommy.
How wonderful you share that in common!
ReplyDeleteI was hoping that you were going to say he's a negative too!! I have to get the shots and only one of my kids (Sam) had a neg type. 7% is a small number...so beautiful that you are in it together! Everything you've been "in" together has been absolutely beautiful ♥
ReplyDelete